Sunday, March 13, 2011

AR Smash with Android GPS

At our last meeting I had an idea of having using the Android GPS with the drone. The idea was to build upon the existing AR Drone demo (which Dave has been using as well) and add GPS functionality. Well I've been working on it without a drone, just logging out when the drone would go forward, back, left and right. The problem I've run into though is that the GPS is far too inaccurate for something like this to really work. If I try to make it more accurate by adjusting the change in longitude and latitude that would be required for a "move" to take place, it becomes too much movement too fast. In fact, multiple different movements would be called even when the phone is sitting in one place. I'm going to continue playing around with this delta value in hopes that I can come up with something relative accurate, but at this point it seems somewhat unlikely. Now I'm understanding why the demo uses the accelerometer instead of the GPS.

No comments:

Post a Comment