Friday, March 11, 2011

Steps to USB Serial Port

Before we can use the USB Serial connector (even if we know the electronics works) we need to compile the kernel module from the ARDrone/Parrot site. Instructions for doing this are at the site below.

http://embedded-software.blogspot.com/2010/12/ar-drone-usb.html

There are two challenges, one being the actual compiling of the module with the changes mentioned, and the other being compiling the same module for the arm processor on the ARDrone. I've downloaded the source and made the changes to the 'dwc_otg_driver.c' file but I've had trouble compiling it. The basic problem is that if I type 'make modules' a few kernel modules are built, but not the dwc_otg.ko module. (I have downloaded the arm cross-compiler, but have not had a chance to use it yet -- I thought I'd try regular compiling first.)

I went into the kernel configuration screens, typing 'make menuconfig'. I pretty much scoured the various menus but could not find the option for 'dwc_otg'. I tried out several things that I felt were close to the option I was looking for without any luck.

I think this 'dwc_otg.ko' module is very basic and needs to be present in order for the usb port on the Drone to work as a serial port. I have posted a comment on the blog mentioned above asking the 'E/S and I' guy for help. We'll see if he responds.

No comments:

Post a Comment